2009년 3월 12일 목요일

Advising Students for Success

I stumbled onto these two articles, "Advising Students for Success" from Dr. Ullman and "Your Students Are Your Legacy" of Dr. Patterson. Since HO came into my life, I've always had a question that how can I teach her into better being. My road to Ph.D. also ignited sparks on the question. How can people can think, invent, and express something well, enough to satisfy theirselves? Those two articles are worth reading.

However, I enjoyed the following part aside from Dr. Ullman on students and startups:
".. while getting a doctorate and entering the research arena is a high calling, it is not the highest possible calling. A startup can hace more impact on our lives than a thesis."
The following part from Dr.Patterson's is also good.

".. What I learned from the book was that people were happy with their careers if they designed or built objects that lasted, such as the Empire State Building or the Golden Gates Bridge, or if the shaped people's lives, such as patients or parishioners. Thus, I went into the job of assistant professors with the hypothesis that my long-lasting impact was not the papers but the people."


필립 웨이들러 교수의 블로그에서 본, 이번달 CACM의 글이다. 졸업을 하고 나니까 더욱 어떻게 해야 연구를 할 수 있고 논리적인 생각을 할 수 있나에 대한 궁금증이 촉발된다.

댓글 없음: